Saturday 24 July 2021

4.3 Grief




To say that the first few months after Heather's death were difficult would be a massive understatement. Lincoln's in tears most of the time, breaking down doing the smallest tasks. 



His parents are there for him as often as possible. 



"Lincoln, it's alright. We're here for you." 



His parents not being here isn't the issue, but Lincoln can't say something like that. "I know...I just miss her so much, mom." 



"I know... she was a special girl." 



He sighs. Words don't seem to make it better, but he can tell that his mother is trying her best. 

"I feel a bit better... I think I'll go garden for now." 



Gardening gives him some kind of peace and solitude when he needs it. The repetitive, labor intensive tasks usually take his mind off of things. 



But not for long. His mind always goes back to his girlfriend, wondering if there's anything he could have said to prevent her from leaving. Anything he could have done to warn her... it's a masochistic game, but it keeps him up at night, all these what-ifs. 



He tries to distract himself in other ways. TV works for a little while... 



Sometimes, he tries watching the shows Heather liked, Panicked Homemakers, Staying Current with the Simdashians, Bridgeport Beach Bums and the like. Sometimes, he feels closer to her, but often it makes him even sadder. It would be more enjoyable if she were here... 



Evan frowns when he comes home from work and finds Lincoln passed out on the couch. He often finds his son like this, not having brushed his teeth or even taken off his shoes before falling asleep on the sofa. 



These naps are always short and fitful. Seeing the TV shows makes him have vivid dreams about Heather. He would stop if there were any other way of seeing her face again. 



Gardening. It's easier to garden. 



Sometimes his mother joins him. 



They don't talk, but Lincoln comes to enjoy her company again. 


It's nice to not be alone sometimes. 



It's about six months later when Lincoln shows consistent signs of life. Eating regularly, making jokes. 



He's not completely healed, but he's getting there. 



It's a few months after his slow re-awakening into life that he finds himself delivering a repaired stereo to the Duende family. They asked his mother to fix it, but she didn't have time to deliver it herself. 

"Tell your mother many thanks on my behalf," Tammi says, giving Lincoln an envelope with the promised repair fee. 

"Um, yeah. I'll do that." 



When she offers her hand, he takes it. 

"It's always a pleasure doing business with your family," Tammi says politely. 

"Has my mom done things for you before?" 

Tammi sighs. "Several times. You see Sammy over there?" she gestures towards the cat staring intently at them. "He gets stuck in trees all the time. Now, I told my mother that it might be a bit rude to ask a lycanthrope to handle a cat...but, well, somehow she just delighted in the irony!" 

Lincoln laughs, a genuine laugh. Her strange, formal way of speaking is...oddly charming. "I'm sure my mother doesn't mind." 



"Still, let me extend an offer for a meal to thank her properly." 

"I don't think she'd take the food..." 

"Oh, but I insist!" 



"Well, what if I take it instead?" Unlike his parents, who are happy with their synthesised food, Lincoln has been craving a homecooked meal with fresh ingredients for years now. 

"That would be most agreeable." 


Andy Duende smiles as he passes by the two. He heard about what happened to this poor boy's girlfriend...hm...Ford and Feather? That sounds about right. If Jackson here can find friendship amongst his family, all the better! 



They quickly end up reminiscing about high school. 

"I never apologised for that joke me and Heather pulled on you. But you have to admit- it was pretty damn funny!" 

Tammi laughs politely, "I was quite...astonished. But I suppose I deserve it for snooping. I never apologised for that either." 

"Consider us even then. Well, I should get going, it's pretty late. But call me, when that meal's ready!" 

Tammi waves goodbye politely. "Farewell, Lincoln. I'll be sure to send you a message." Chau, Tammi's younger sister, rolls her eyes. Her sister always sounds so pretentious. At least Lincoln likes it... 



Evan is happy to see Lincoln come home in high spirits. 

"I assume the delivery went well?" 

"Oh yeah, ran into Tammi Duende there. We caught up, and later I'll have something to eat with her." 

Evan smiles. "That sounds great, Link." 

Lincoln's heart still twists at the thought of Heather and the prank they pulled on Tammi all that time ago, but he realises that he managed to mention her without crying for the first time in months. That's progress, isn't it? 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AN: The past two chapters were a lot shorter than normal. I didn't want it to seem like Lincoln was rushing into the rest of his life without mourning Heather first. Sim lives pass by so fast, two days grieving for the death of a loved one really did not feel like enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment