Wednesday 4 July 2018

1.19 Good For You


Sage returns home the next day. Naomi goes (almost) right to sleep as soon as she's placed in her crib, leaving an exhausted Sage opportunity for guitar practice. 



She's still relieved when Willow calls, though. 

"Is everything with mother alright?" 

"Yeah! Don't worry about it, Sage. Van Gould has a heart after all," Willow beams, "Droned on foreeeever about the importance of maintaining the integrity of Moonlight Falls families yadda yadda yadda... he'll pay for some doctors and caretakers to check on her." 

Sage sighs with relief, "And what did he want in return?" 

Willow harrumphs, "I have to work in his new project. A caravan in the middle of nowhere- he thinks the place has a 'quaint charm' to it that needs to be...exploited. Whatever, the money's ok..." 

"Willow, I don't know how to thank you-," 

"Naaaah don't worry about it. It might not be Starlight Shores, but the people are a hell of a lot nicer. I'll be fine! Anyways, how are you two doing? Already back at work?" Willow teases. 



"This afternoon I get to run a sound check," Sage replies, a big, sleepy smile on her face. 

"I think the lack of sleep has made you crazy. You sound way too happy about work." 




Sage laughs sarcastically, "Ha ha ha. Such an original joke, Willow. But yes, I'll be going to work. The baby sitter should be here by now, actually, but I suppose he's running late." 

"Baby sitter? I don't mean to pry, but does Naomi spend any time with her dad?" 



That one really gets Sage laughing, "That was an excellent joke. Her father is an unreliable piece of garbage. He hasn't said a single word to me since I told him I was pregnant." 

"Ouch. Ok, well, I have to go to work myself. Have fuuuun at your sound check!" 






Before she leaves, Sage hurriedly makes sure that Naomi's diaper is clean and that the baby food is set out nicely for the sitter. 




She's rushing out the door by the time he shows up, leaving him to feed Naomi himself. 



He makes the rookie mistake of turning his back on an eating toddler. The sound of the bowl being pushed to the edge of the small plastic table has his full attention, as does the mess on Naomi's hands and face. 



A small eternity later, Naomi is washed up and ready for bed. 

"No sleepy time," she pouts. 

"But sleepy time is fun, Naomi! Here, I'll sing you a sleepy time song..." 

As he sings a soft, nonsense lullaby Naomi's eyes drift close. He makes sure that she's snoring before he stops singing. The rest of the evening should be a piece of cake. 




Sage is extremely pleased to come home and find Naomi so well taken care of. She gives him an extra ten bucks before sending him on his way. She revels in the silence and takes advantage of her free time by taking a long, hot shower. 

It feels good to be home. 

***


But going to work feels even better. 




Naomi being slightly more self-sufficient and going to school means Sage can work during the day now. 



But her daughter needs her attention as much as ever now. 




"At school today, Ms. Lobos showed us how to make a paper crane!" 

"Mhmm..." 

"Mine was yellow!" 

"Uh huh..." 



"Did you ever make a paper crane, mommy? I bet it was suuuuuuper pretty!" 

"Naomi, lower your voice please. We're inside." 

Naomi pulls on one of her pigtails, "Sorry, mommy." She pauses for a moment, then continues, "And then Ms. Lobos promised us that we could make a hand puppet next art class!" 

"Naomi, if you can't stay quiet when you speak, then don't speak," Sage snaps. 

Naomi winces, "Sorry..." 



Naomi tries her best to be quiet as they eat. Sage smiles; she always thought that children should be seen but not heard. 




"Mommy," Naomi says in a whisper, "Can I have a cookie?" 

"You don't have to whisper Naomi. But no, sugar isn't good for you." 

"Pleeeaaase?" 

Sage glowers at her insolent daughter, "I said no." 

Naomi sighs, "Okay..." 



Naomi frowns as she cleans up the plates. If mommy says cookies are bad, then they must be bad. 




Then she goes to her room, like she must after brushing her teeth, only to see something...strange. 




"Mommy! There was a ghost right there! You just missed him!" 

"Don't make up stories, Naomi. Now, lay down and let me read you this story..." 

Naomi deflates. She wasn't lying! There really was a ghost! 



The next morning Sage still isn't happy with her daughter. 

"Naomi, what are you wearing!?" 

Naomi tugs uncertainly on her shorts, "I found these in the drawers over there..." 

Sage scowls. Her mother sent her some hand-me-downs. She should've donated them or thrown them away. 



"What about that nice dress I laid out for you, Naomi?" 

Naomi looks up at her mother guiltily, "It's hard to run in a dress..." 

"Run!? Why would you be running? Ladies don't over-exert themselves, Naomi." 



In the end, Naomi doesn't protest when her mother asks her to change. 

"There, isn't that better? You look so pretty!" 

Naomi smiles shyly, "Thank you mommy." 



Seeing as there's still thirty minutes before Naomi has to leave for school and an hour and a half before Sage's shift, this is an excellent opportunity to get some practice in. 

"Wow, that's so cool!" 

"Quiet, Naomi. I need silence to concentrate." 

Naomi fidgets with her dress, "Sorry..." Why does she always talk too much? 

Naomi looks meekly up at her mother and her guitar and smiles. I have the coolest mommy ever! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2 comments:

  1. I completely missed the Silverlys because I was inactive in April, which was apparently the big Silverly month. I caught up now though.

    Aww, poor Nozomi. I remember being told to be quiet all my childhood and now that I'm adult everyone tells me to speak up and that they can't hear me if I'm talking so quietly =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Naomi :( we'll see if she can speak up when she's older!

      Delete